International mobility

  • Help
  • Find
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Doctoral School of Exact Sciences and their Applications
Traductions :
  • Voir la page en français
  • Ver esta página en español
You are here:

International mobility for Ph.D. studentsInternational mobility and financial support

To take part in an international symposium

The Doctoral School (ED) offers financial support to doctoral students presenting an oral paper at an international symposium abroad.  A contribution towards mission expenses of about 500€ for a symposium within Europe, and about 800€ for outside Europe, may be allocated to a research centre. Funding for poster presentations is strictly excluded. Any such financial support will be settled subsequently after presentation of an attendance certificate by the Ph.D. student. Applications for financial support must be made using the following form "Financial support for international mobility - International symposium" (doc - 46 Ko) which must be handed in to the Doctoral School before the symposium. An application for financial support will be accepted only once during the three years of the Ph.D. student’s studies.    


To do research abroad

The Doctoral School (ED) may assist Ph.D. students spending time in a research centre abroad. Such financial support will be examined on a case by case basis, with a maximum allowance of 750 € per month.  Applications must be made using the following form "Financial support for international mobility – Research trip abroad" (doc - 46 Ko) and handed in to the Doctoral School before departure abroad. Please note that Ph.D. students who have a doctoral contract managed by the UPPA must give the Human Resources Office (DRH) advance notice of their travel arrangements for leave of absence, and must also properly complete all required forms (Procedures and forms (pdf - 16 Ko) required).


For cross-border mobility

The UPPA, through its International Relations Office, has set up a special provision to help you study in Zaragoza, San Sebastian, Pampelona, Bilbao, Vitoria or Huesca: see Cross-border UPPass for accommodation grants, financial support, etc.  


Erasmus + Mobility

The Erasmus + programme offers financial support to doctoral students on mobility for  a minimum period of 3 months as regards a training course, and a minimum of 2 months as regards a work placement, carried out in one of the countries participating in the programme i.e. the 28 member-states of the EU (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, the Czeck Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom) + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Switzerland and Turkey. From next year onwards, the amount will vary according to the country of destination, but the minimum amount for a studies mobility will not be less than the current grant of 250 euros per month, and higher for some destinations. The grant for a work placement is higher (350 euros per month at present) and is likely to be raised slightly under the new programme. Requirements for a Ph.D. student are as follows: complete the Erasmus application forms, provide certificates at the start and end of your study period or work placement abroad, write a final report, and when it has been set up (not applicable this year), sit a language test on the European language platform before departure and after your return. For more information, see the International Relations office's website.


To obtain a European Doctorate

You can obtain the label of  “European Doctorate" on top of your Doctorate award if you meet the following four requirements:

  • A period of at least one college term spent abroad in another European country
  • During the Ph.D. viva : a part of the oral examination must be carried out in one of the European national languages other than the national language of the country where the final viva takes place.
  • Authorisation for the final Ph.D. viva examination must be granted in the light of two reports authored by at least two professors from two Higher Education institutions in two different European states other than the state in which the viva will take place
  • The final Ph.D. jury panel must include at least one member from one Higher Education institution of a European state other than the state in which the final viva takes place.  


International co-supervision of your thesis

International joint supervision of your thesis allows a Ph.D. student registered at the UPPA and at another university abroad to do a doctorate by alternating periods spent at the two institutions under two thesis supervisors. Following the final oral examination or viva, the student will be awarded the doctorate degree from both partner universities. A co-supervision agreement (see intranet) must be drawn up to organise the practical arrangements for such supervision. The relevant French legislation applicable is the 2005 decree for joint thesis supervision: see arrêté du 6 janvier 2005 relatif à la cotutelle internationale de thèse (rtf - 23 Ko).